OIEau is an independent non-profit-making organization whose principal aim is to develop skills for improving water and river management. OIEau’s main areas of activity are:
- Continuous Education and Training of water utilities and administration staff (>6,000 trainees – professionals, supervisors, operators, decision-makers – par year)
- Documentation and information concerning water, including through Coordination and Support Actions in France and in Europe.
- Facilitation of networks of water stakeholders
- Institutional development for water management (e.g. European twinnings with candidate or neighbouring countries, support to Basin Organisations worldwide)
- Management of water data (SANDRE, the French water data standardization and interoperability structure).
OIEau is supported by 149 partner organisations (administrations, catchment organisations, municipalities, universities, professional associations, water utilities, NGOs, ...), including 32 foreign. It has a total workforce of 130 persons, and can mobilise 250 external experts.